It’s here – strawberry season! Shortcakes, smoothies or just straight up, these beautiful and tasty morsels also have amazing health properties. Low in calories and high in fibre, one cup of strawberries contains more than 136% of our daily requirement of Vitamin C. They are also among the top antioxidant-rich foods, which are known to be cancer fighters and immune boosters.
And hey – here’s a fun fact: the strawberry is actually the only fruit that has its seeds on the outside. Oddly, that means that each of those little seeds on the outside are in and of themselves their own little fruit! Some references say that strawberries are not really a berry at all and in fact are closer in comparison to the family that kiwis come from. Explains the similarity in taste, I guess.
But regardless of the fruit’s quirks, there is no denying that strawberries are synonymous with summer – and so is salsa, so why not combine the two? Gobble up this sweet and savoury condiment with toasted pita chips as a snack or use it to top grilled chicken or fish for a summery dinner that is healthy and guest-worthy too.
Succulent Strawberry Salsa
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 avocado
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Zest and juice from 1 lime
- Slice strawberries, chop avocado and gently combine in a medium mixing bowl
- Finely chop red onion and jalapeño and add to the mix. Note: the seeds of the jalapeño are what adds the heat, so remove them carefully!
- Add zest and juice one lime, and fresh cilantro and stir to combine.
- Let dish stand in refrigerator for an hour or two to allow all the flavours to come together.
This is great as a dip for toasted pita chips or to top grilled fish or chicken.